Strep throat is a common bacterial infection, affecting between 11,000 and 24,000 Americans every year. So, how can we avoid this uncomfortable sickness?
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Ooltewah has the answers, so read on!
What Should I Know About Strep Throat?
Strep throat is an infection in the throat and tonsils caused by a bacteria group called A Streptococcus, or group A strep. When not dealt with in a timely manner, strep throat can lead to inflammatory illnesses, such as rheumatic fever, kidney inflammation and scarlet fever.
Strep lives in the nose and throat and can be spread by coughing or sneezing. Strep throat is an easy infection to catch in normal circumstances, and we’ve listed some common ways people get sick with it below.
Common Ways to Catch Strep Throat
- Breathing in respiratory droplets containing strep bacteria
- Touching something with droplets on it and then touch their mouth or nose
- Drinking from the same glass or eat from the same plate as a sick person
Are There Things I Can Do to Stay Away from Strep?
Absolutely! Honestly, one of the best ways to keep yourself safe from strep throat and other illnesses is by maintaining the necessary and effective COVID-19 precautionsthat you’ve been following for some time now.
If you do find yourself under the weather and believe you have fallen ill to strep throat, visit your doctor. If he or she believes you have strep throat, it’s likely that your doctor will perform a rapid strep test to confirm the diagnosis. Strep tests are a reliable and non-painful tool in diagnosing this bacterial infection.
More Ways to Stay Safe From Strep
- Stay away from people that are sick.
- Don’t share any personal items with someone who is sick.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water aren’t readily available.
Above all, we want you to stay healthy and well through the rest of this winter season. We’re here for you now and always at AFC Urgent Care Ooltewah, so don’t hesitate to visit us!