<![CDATA[We all want to have a fun summer. However, the only way to really have fun is to be safe. But our children might not necessarily have safety as a priority. Therefore, our team at AFC Urgent Care Ooltewah wants to share some steps you can take to protect your kids this summer.
What Precautions Should Be Taken This Summer?We all want to be our healthiest selves, especially in the summer. But while summer brings fun and sun, it also brings along some health hazards. But there are basic things you can do to limit your family’s risk of injury and illness.
Summer Safety Tips
- Apply insect repellent when spending time in a wooded area or near water.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Keep an eye out for poisonous plants.
- Do not ever swim alone.
- Always supervise children who are swimming, at arm’s length of those under age 12.
- Ensure pools and other water are behind a gated, inaccessible fence.
How Can I Protect My Children From the Sun?The intense rays of the Tennessee sun require their own set of safety guidelines. While we naturally spend more time outside during the summer, it’s important to make sure you are protecting your skin and staying sun safe. Step 1: Always wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 on all exposed skin. Reapply at least every two hours while outdoors, or more often when swimming or sweating.
Other Ways to Stay Sun Safe
- Seek shade whenever possible.
- Stay indoors between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., when the sun’s rays are most intense.
- Wear a broad-brimmed hat to protect the ears, neck and scalp.
- Wear sunglasses with UV protection.