How Can You Reduce the Risk of Injury in Children Who Play Sports? Many American children are involved in sports, making sports a leading contributor to injuries among kids. But the good news is that you can largely prevent injuries from sports by taking precautions.
How to Prevent Sports Injuries
- Wear sport-specific protective gear.
- Warm up before every practice or game and cool down afterward.
- Drink plenty of fluids before, during and after activity.
- Learn and maintain proper form and technique.
- Rest often.
- Try participating in multiple sports to avoid overuse injuries.
What Steps Can Be Taken to Avoid Injuries in Children?Sports are not the only cause of injuries in kids, though! It is important to make sure injuries are prevented both inside and outside the home where children are concerned. First, you want to make sure you are using the proper carseat for your child based on the law and your child’s height and weight. In addition, you want to make sure your children are supervised when in and around water. Even if your children are good swimmers, supervision is still needed! Also, keep medications and cleaning products that can be dangerous to children out of reach.
Most Common Injuries at Home