Why Does Your Nose Get So Stuffy? From environmental irritants to cold and flu viruses, there are a variety of reasons that nasal passages become congested. Ultimately, it occurs when the membranes inside the nose become swollen. While you may naturally want to blow your nose to clear the passages, that isn’t always the best approach.
What Damage Can Be Done by Blowing Your Nose Too Hard?
- Ear infections
- Ruptured blood vessels in the nose and nosebleeds
- Eye socket fracture
- Difficulty breathing
Is Blowing Your Nose the Only Way to Clear Nasal Passages?While some people might think blowing your nose is the only way to help clear the nasal passages, it isn’t. There are other ways to clear nasal passages that don’t require that box of tissue.
Ways to Keep Your Nasal Passages Moist & Clear
- Use a humidifier or vaporizer.
- Breathe in hot steam from a shower.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Use a nasal saline spray.
- Try a Neti pot or bulb syringe.
- Place a warm, wet towel on your face.
- Prop yourself up.