While eating out has been more difficult to navigate this year, it’s still very tempting to get takeout for the majority of meals. Cooking can feel like a burden because it requires planning and more dishes, but the result is usually worth it.
Cooking at home can not only save you money, but it can have lasting health benefits as well, and our team at AFC Urgent Care Ooltewah encourages you to try it!
Why Should I Consider Cooking More Often?
Cooking is a great thing for both your mental and physical health! Not only are ingredients often healthier when meals are cooked at home, but the process of cooking is great for your brain and a good way to bond with family members.
There are also many yummy recipes online that guide you through how to prepare good food even if you view yourself as a beginner. Cooking at home is also a safer option regarding the pandemic.
Some Health Benefits of Cooking at Home
- Control over both the ingredients and the quality of ingredients
- Increased mindfulness of what you’re consuming
- More likely to eat fewer calories
- Easier to avoid food allergies and sensitivities
What If I’m Not a Very Good Cook?
It’s OK! Anyone can learn how to cook. Start with some simple, healthy recipes, follow them exactly and remain mindful of the complexity of the dishes you choose to make.
Start with some easy things, and once you’ve mastered those dishes, start choosing recipes with a few more ingredients and steps. Before you know it, you’ll be a fantastic cook! If you’re unsure where or how to start cooking at home, we’ve provided some suggestions below.
First Steps to Take When Cooking
- Plan ahead. Spend some time grocery shopping and choosing menus in advance so that you don’t have to make those choices when you’re not in the mood.
- Have a go-to cookbook or blog that has recipes that you like and are easy to prepare.
- Choose healthy ingredients. Cooking at home doesn’t offer too many health benefits when you’re not mindful of what you’re putting in your body.
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Ooltewah wants you to know how great cooking can be for your family! If you’d like to talk with someone about your diet or other health needs, contact us today.