Why Am I Coughing? A cough can occur for a number of reasons. You might be suffering from allergies, have a common cold or be affected by irritants in the air, like smoke. Most of the time, bouts of coughing last a short time. But if your cough lingers and won’t seem to go away, serious issues can arise:
Results of Coughing Too Much
- Abdominal hernia
- Coughed-up blood
- Cracked ribs
- Damage to small blood vessels and/or the throat
- Muscular pain
- Ruptured diaphragm
How Can I Treat My Cough?Many times, at-home remedies can help you to find relief from a cough. However, if if your cough lingers for longer than a week, worsens or is accompanied by other symptoms, seek medical attention.
At-home Treatment for a Cough
- Avoid using perfume or other scented products.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Get enough rest.
- Try an OTC medication or throat lozenges.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the indoor air.