If only there could be a fall season without the flu. Unfortunately, the flu is alive and well in Ooltewah! In fact, it’s alive and well across the United States—up to 20% of Americans will get the flu this year.
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Ooltewah wants to share how you can prevent the flu this year, as well as what to do if you’re diagnosed.
What Steps Can I Take to Prevent the Flu?
Of course, the best treatment for the flu is prevention! When it comes to preventing the flu, the flu vaccine is your best weapon.
Nearly everyone age 6 months and older should be vaccinated against the flu each year. Aim to get your vaccine before the end of October, allowing your body to build up antibodies before the flu season gets in full swing.
- Wash your hands regularly using soap and water.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if no soap is available.
- Get plenty of sleep and rest.
- Disinfect commonly used surfaces often.
- Boost your immune system with healthy lifestyle habits.
If You Get the Flu, How Long Will It Last?
Every illness is different, so your experience will vary depending on the severity of your virus. In general, most symptoms of the flu tend to go away within a week to 10 days following their arrival.
Some symptoms, like fatigue, may stick along a bit longer as your immune system gets back up to speed. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to get back to your best.
- Take antiviral medication, if one is prescribed to you.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air in your home.
- Try a warm compress to alleviate discomfort.
- Use OTC medications to alleviate symptoms, as needed.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water and beverages with electrolytes.
- Get plenty of rest.
Do you think you might be coming down with the flu? Visit AFC Urgent Care Ooltewah today for medical care!